Monday, November 8, 2010

Tie Shirt

Now that it is getting to be cooler weather I had to go through my kids closets to see what winter clothes still fit and what doesn't. The shirts that I found that were too little I couldn't pull myself to throw away. So instead I came up with some ways to combine some of the shirts to make them bigger. Here is my first shirt that I did. ..He is so happy.
First, I took 2 shirts of like colors and cut one of them to pieces
First cut the sleeve's cuffs off. Leaving an extra amount so you have enough material to work with when sewing.
Then I flipped the shirt over, because the back was solid yellow. I cut 2 long strips. The width of the strip will depend on how much your kid has grown and how much longer you need your shirt.
Now you will have 2 long strips (for the extension of the bottom of your shirt) and 2 cuffs (for arm extensions)
Fold your long strips in half and pin in place. Folding them in half makes it sturdier and seals it off.
sew them together
Turn your shirt inside out and pin your long strips at the bottom hem of your other shirt and sew. You do this same step for your sleeve extensions as well. I didn't make my ends meet, because I wanted to have the split ends like an undershirt would have
I wanted to add a little flare and had some more yellow material left over so I drew a tie, cut it out, pinned in place on top of my shirt, and sewed with a contrasting color thread to give more character.
Voila! Here you have a newly cool shirt. Look how long those arms are now. No high water sleeves anymore. I love the tie and can't wait to wash it a few times so the extra rim around the edge of it will get ruffly. I like the ragged look. I should have put the tie up maybe a little bit higher up on the neck part, but oh well. It still turned out pretty good I think. Can't wait to do my other shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment