Sunday, August 14, 2011

Canning & Pioneer Day

My last Relief Society activity that I planned was a canning class. Request via the sisters. Since Pioneer Day was also going on earlier that week I thought we could combine the 2 classes. Since Pioneers are self efficient and had to work for everything. That is what they had to do for this class. WORK!
When the sisters first arrived they had to make them selves a paper bonnet. In order to be a pioneer you have to look the part, right? Then they had to set up their own tables and chairs. I loved this part, because I finally didn't have to do it all myself. Once they got set up we had a line of work for them to do to get their food and eat.

Hang clothes out on the line
Milk the cow (painted cow on board, hospital gloves for utters)
Get homemade bread and Jam (people signed up to bring)
Make homemade butter (shake heavy whipping cream in baby food jar)

After they did their work and got their refreshments they were able to sit down, enjoy, and learn how to can their own food.

No comments:

Post a Comment