Sunday, August 28, 2011

Modesty

I know this is a craft blog, but I thought it would be nice to jot down my ideas that I have for my Sharing Time Lessons too. I love object learning. It seems when you have a visual to your lesson it helps the learning process. Well, at least it does for me. So 2 weeks ago my lesson was, "Dressing Modestly Shows Respect for Heavenly Father and Myself.

For the Junior Primary:

I had a large laundry basket filled with clothes. I taped a label on each article of clothing; short sleeve, tank top, short skirt....etc. I had good & bad examples. I had volunteers come up one by one and pick something out of the basket. They then had to decide if it was a good or bad piece of clothing. If it was good we hung it up in our closets to keep (I just hung ours on the bulletin board ledge with a coat hanger) If it was bad we threw it in the trash. We also had a little discusion about why each one was appropriate or why not. I closed by saying how our bodies are like temples. Just as temples are sacred we keep them clean and pure and so do we keep our bodies.

For Senior Primary:

I kept the clothes that the Jr. Primary sorted out and hanging. Since the Sr. Primary are older kids I thought they would have enjoyed something a little more hands on. Most of the older kids already know what the standards are. So we just did a quick recap of what they were by pointing to the clothes hanging up and in the trash. The big problem today is finding modest clothes. We talked about how we could modify immodest clothing to make it wholesome. For example: wear a tshirt under a tank top, or a tank top under a low cut shirt, etc. I then told them that they were going to be the fashion designers and had to make a modest outfit for their teachers. The catch....? It had to be made out of toilet paper. After the kids were done dressing their teachers up I had them walk down the red carpet runway (long red plastic table cloth) while I had the pianist play "I love to see the Temple" The kids had a blast doing this. I will have picture coming soon

No comments:

Post a Comment