Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fire Planters

I am a little slow on posting my tutorial. If you remember my Christmas party that I did for my church, then you might remember these fire planters that I had for our table centerpieces. Our theme was "Give S'more", but you can't make s'mores without fire...right? I did promise y'all a tutorial for them. So here it is...

First, I had to draw out my vision on paper, and submit them to my husband. I don't trust myself with the table saw just yet. For each box you will need
2- 2' x 3" (sides)
1- 2' x 3 1/2" (bottom)
2- 3 1/2" x 3 7/8" (ends)
He mad all the measurements and cut the scrap boards that we had lying around.
When he was finished then my part came in. I nailed 2 of the 2' x 3" boards on top of the 2' x 3 1/2" board
Then nail your 2 end pieces on and paint whatever color you want. I had some left over brown paint from when we painted my living room. So we used that to paint our boxes. So far this project has been FREE. When you do activities for church you are always working on a budget. Its always fun to test your creative side and come up with something that doesn't cost a lot of money. Thank goodness my husband has an obsession with wood work and always has scraps lying around.
Now for the fire! I took red and orange tissue paper. Cut in 1/4 sheets. These boxes are very shallow so you don't need a whole sheet. Just a little will do.
Lastly stagger in color. Red, orange, red, orange. Voila! You have a fabulous fire pit for your S'more centerpiece. The Best part... it only cost $1 (for the tissue paper) Now thats what I call working on a budget.
We even had cheap labor...my son! The school bus dropped him off right as we were assembling. Dad let him throw on some headphones and help with the cutting. It definitely made Little Man's Day

2 comments: